written by Team Result
This is your customer and they are also the hero of the story. Most marketers and business owners get this part wrong. They try their best to show the business as the hero. The question you have to ask here is: Who is your customer? You may like to read this article on What Is A StoryBrand Buyer Persona. This is the first thing we do here is take our clients through a Buyer Persona. We spend an hour working on their Buyer Person, you may know it under another name “Customer Avatar”
In most stories you are introduced to the Character very early (well in the good ones you are). This is why doing your Buyer Persona or Customer Avatar is so important. This gives you an insight into the way they think, their problems, challenges, hopes and desires. And more. You will then use it to complete your StoryBrand BrandScript.
Now the StoryBrand Framework begins
You don’t want to be superficial here. You wont to go deep and this is why Donald Miller’s 7 Part StoryBrand Framework has 3 levels in the problem.
- The External: What is the problem they have. Eg: Do they want to lose weight, do they need a new pair of jeans, are they hungry, do they need to buy a new home, build something. What is their external need.
- The Internal: How does this make them feel. This is where we go deeper. This is where you make a connection with your customer by showing speaking their pain. You see the external is just the problem, the internal is the pain. When you start talking about their pain, they can’t help but listen. Eg: They feel ashamed, Daggy, angry (have you ever met a hungry person), anxious, determined.
- Philosophical: This is where belief comes in. It’s a statement that runs along with the way they are thinking about their problem. You’ve heard others use statements like these: “It shouldn’t be so hard to lose weight”, “It ought to be easier to find the perfect pair of jeans”, “Food should be easier to find”, “buying a home shouldn’t be this hard”, “Finding a construction company to build my building should be easier”.
Now the tide
• The problem your customer faces and is trying to overcome.
• How your business will help them do this by being positioned as the Guide.
• The steps they need to take to overcome that problem and have success.
• The benefits to their life they will experience when they have success.
• The consequence they face is they fail.
• What ‘Call to Actions” are needed for them to have success.
• How they will feel when success/victory is theirs.
Results and Co - Part of the Rise Group
Aus: +61 402 916 266
US: +1 615 551 7163
Join our free online community over 1500 business owners. Free daily and weekly marketing tips
Most businesses are wasting money on marketing! We help businesses build a compelling brand story, build websites that work, and develop campaigns that deliver leads. Clients who work with us improve their marketing results and build strong brands.